By the end of this program, each participant will be certified and inspired to teach yoga as recognized by Yoga Alliance. The focus of our work together will be the art of teaching, or the manner in which we share what we learn about ourselves with others. We will emphasize learning to safely lead a successful, intelligent, and inspiring vinyasa class. To get there, we will immerse ourselves in a month of powerful practice and study, deepening our connection to yoga and transforming our lives. We’ll build a strong foundation in breathwork, energy locks, mantra, and yoga philosophy to support us on this journey.
One year of previous yoga experience is preferred.
The process of learning to teach also encompasses diving deep into your own practice and your own hopes and fears, perhaps deeper than you’ve ever gone before. For this ritual to work, it is important that you use your time and energy wisely. During the breaks and days off, you will be encouraged to study, practice teach, and spend time in silence to help you digest the work we do as a group. We have a lot of material to cover in just 28 days, so coming rested, prepared, and committed will be essential to completing the course. You’ll be asked to keep a journal privately during the course and will need to complete assignments and miss no more than one day of the whole training. Get started on your reading and journal today in preparation! Reading and practice assignments, as well as a teaching demo (reviewed) and final evaluation will round out the program. In addition, karma (service) hours will be required for completion during or after the training.
Remember, yoga is a journey of self-discovery and building our sensitivity to the world around us. We will be discovering and releasing attachments to that which is familiar and constricting in order to build our light to shine brighter than ever. In order not to disrupt each other’s process, we will, as a group, abstain from drinking alcohol, smoking, or using drugs for the duration of the course. This training is not a time to vacation and party; think of it more as an intensive or cleanse dedicated to honest self-reflection, purification, and clarity. On the evenings and days off, you are welcome to do what you wish as long as it does not disrupt the group’s energy. After the last day of class, we will have a celebration party (with maybe a special performance!) and prepare for reintegration into the “real” world.
By the end of this training, you will probably be in the best shape of your life. Expect to leave more relaxed, physically stronger, invigorated, and with more mental clarity on how to live life to the fullest.
Each day’s sessions will begin at 7:00 am and end at 8:30 pm. We will hold sessions for five days and then take the sixth day off. Depending on the needs of the group, this schedule may change.
– 07:00 am – 09:00 am: Morning Practice
– 09:00 am – 10:30 am: Breakfast Break
– 10:30 am – 12:30 pm: Practice Teaching, Adjustments and Anatomy
– 01:00 pm – 04:00 pm: Lunch Break
– 04:00 pm – 06:00 pm: Mantra, Sutras, Breathwork and Movement
– 06:00 pm – 07:30 pm: Dinner
– 07:30 pm – 08:30 pm: Yoga Philosophy and Sharing of Experiences
This training will prepare and certify students to:
– Teach an inspiring group vinyasa (breath-connected) yoga class in the yoga studio, gym, or corporate environment, with intelligent sequencing, precise adjustments, and clear focus.
– Teach yoga privately and professionally, prescribing appropriate exercises to each individual.
– Field the most common questions and issues from beginner students, including (but not limited to) back or knee injuries, blood pressure, pregnancy and stress. Understand how to safely work with these conditions in a nurturing, therapeutic manner.
– Have a firm grasp of, and an excitement to go deeper into, the use of anatomy and physiology in yoga.
– Study the breath in all its beauty, fluctuations, and variations and prescribe different breathing techniques for different effects.
– Understand the art and value of contemplation (meditation) and be able to lead others in the same from direct experience.
– Grasp the foundations and supporting energies of yoga, with emphasis on Tantra, the Yoga Sutras, Ayurveda, ethics and the business of yoga.
My experience with Banyan has been nothing short of life-changing. He’s inspired me more than words could ever express, but I’m going to try! So, having gained an extensive movement background and becoming a trainer myself, I have to say that my standards for an instructor are quite lofty. That said, to this day, I’ve yet to meet a yoga instructor of Banyan’s caliber.
Banyan is not just another yoga teacher. His deep yet playful approach is a huge differentiator. It’s one thing to be a knowledgeable instructor, but Banyan is so much more. His humble, eloquent, and playful personality really makes classes feel light and full of joy. He’s able to strike this perfect balance of wisdom and play that makes even the most challenging lessons…well, fun! That’s the key…when you feel like you’re deepening your connection with yourself, while advancing your own ability to teach yoga in an inspiringly joyful way.
My life can be fast-paced, and I face difficult times like anyone else. With his teachings, I’ve learned to focus my mind, and Banyan has really proven to me that just as things are the hardest is when everything begins to fall into place. So, perseverance has been a huge lesson, and learning to cultivate that inner strength through our practice has been vital and poignant. He stresses consistency in practice, and it’s truly not hard for me to achieve that with him as my teacher.
His energy and enthusiasm constantly brings you higher, and makes you realize everything is possible with consistency, dedication and focus. Everything is worthwhile when it is punctuated with laughter, humility, kindness, and an open heart. Those qualities make him a wonderful teacher.
Apart from the fact that Banyan makes yoga fun and challenging, his insight into the body is profound. Though his knowledge may have developed over years of studying anatomy, dissection, and various movement forms, one feels that he is guided by an instinctive wisdom more powerful than the knowledge gleaned from those experiences alone.
Even with a deep wealth of knowledge, Banyan remains humble and teaches in such a way that I always feel safe and supported, both physically and emotionally. I have learned so much and felt so cared for. I’m 100% compelled to recommend this course to anyone who is trying to improve themselves (mind, body, soul), their practice, and their teaching skills!